We've moved!

We're happy to announce that with the change to Pine Technical & Community College, our website has moved to www.pine.edu!

We recommend updating your bookmarks to the new domain. We'll be phasing out our pinetech.edu domain in the coming months and the information below may not be current.

Go to the new website now!

Veterans Center

About the Veterans Center

With more than 50 veterans on campus, the Veterans Center at Pine Technical College is committed to providing student veterans a successful and fulfilling educational experience. The center offers a wide array of services such as social events, GI Bill information, peer support, counseling and more.

"A big issue facing veterans is social isolation – many have difficulty adjusting to civilian life, and even more have difficulty adjusting to college life," says Doug Davis, PTC Veterans Liaison. "The center is open to all our brave men and women from any service branch who may have served in war or peace. We want to help them make the transition."

Davis, a Vietnam War Veteran, served in the Marine Corps from 1964 to ’68 and began his career in academia with PTC in ’91. Davis manages the center with assistance from a representative with Minnesota Veterans Affairs, Charles Egerstrom. Egerstrom is available at the center on occasion and by appointment to help student veterans with education benefits and financial resources.

"Our main focus is to serve as a resource center for student veterans. We’re a casual, drop-in center, and students may walk in or make an appointment if they wish," Davis says. "And, although many of our student veterans have recently returned from Iraq or Afghanistan, we welcome all veterans from any era as well as their spouses and dependents. We are a resource and support center."

For more information, see the Veterans Center brochure.

Veterans Center Hours

The PTC Veterans Center is open 12 hours a week:
-- Tues: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
-- Wed: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
-- Thurs: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

For more information, call 320-629-5100 or the Veterans Center directly, 320-629-5181. You also may e-mail Veterans Liaison Doug Davis directly, davisd@pinetech.edu.

Veteran Certification

Eligibility for veteran and dependent education benefits is determined by the U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). PTC’s Financial Aid Office certifies students to the VA to receive benefits. A student must be admitted to the college and registered for courses in a degree-seeking program to be certified for veteran's education benefits. Students are required to provide their course schedule to the VA Certifying Official. Students are also required to notify the VA Certifying Official any time changes are made to that schedule.

PTC’s Certifying Official

Shawn Reynolds, Director of Financial Aid
Tel: 320-629-5161
E-mail: ReynoldsS@pinetech.edu

Veterans Education Transfer System

With the Veterans Education Transfer System, veterans more easily can determine when they can earn college credits for military training. The online service helps veterans and members of the armed forces identify whether their military training counts for college credits in the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities system (MnSCU).

Known as the Veterans Education Transfer System, the service is believed to be the first of its kind in the country. "Hundreds of military jobs can lead to civilian careers with some additional education," said MnSCU Chancellor James McCormick. "In the past, veterans have often found it difficult to know whether the training they receive in the military can count for college credit. We want to help veterans build on the excellent training they receive in the military by awarding appropriate credits and allowing them to complete a college program more quickly."

Information about military credit transfer options can be found at www.veterans.mnscu.edu, a section of the MnSCU website that has consolidated information about programs and services for veterans. To determine whether military credits can be accepted for transfer, veterans and service members can use the new service to match military occupational specialty codes with programs offered by MnSCU and get estimates of the number of credits that could be awarded for that military occupation. Information about wages and job outlook also is provided.

Credits for military training are awarded using guidelines established by the American Council on Education, a coordinating association of higher education institutions. Currently, the transfer system can identify awardable credits for military training in four large occupational areas -- law enforcement, diesel and truck mechanics, administrative and human resource assistants and paramedics. More occupational areas, such as health care, will be added to the system as they are reviewed and deemed appropriate for transfer.

Helpful Links for Veterans

Transitioning from the military to college can sometimes be difficult. Take a look at these helpful resources.

-- Ace Military Programs
-- Department of Veteran Affairs
-- Department of Veteran Affairs Campus Toolkit
-- www.ahead.org/publications/jped_veterans
-- Mesothelioma Cancer Alliance