We've moved!

We're happy to announce that with the change to Pine Technical & Community College, our website has moved to www.pine.edu!

We recommend updating your bookmarks to the new domain. We'll be phasing out our pinetech.edu domain in the coming months and the information below may not be current.

Go to the new website now!

PTC and HigherOne

PTC and HigherOne

PTC has partnered with HigherOne, a financial services company, to offer a safer, more convenient, and more environmentally-friendly method of financial aid refund disbursement to students. Financial aid and tuition refunds are disbursed to students via a PTC HigherOne Card, also known by students as the My One Card. Refunds are delivered in the manner that students choose:

- Refund to the My One Card debit card -- the fastest way to get your money.
- Direct Deposit to your bank or credit union account -- a fast way to get your money.
- Receive a paper check via mail.

What Students need to do (and know)!

First, all students MUST ensure PTC has a current, accurate mailing address on file to ensure the My One Card and financial aid refunds are sent to the appropriate person(s). How do you do this?

- Go to PTC E-services
- Enter your login and password, Institution: Pine Technical College
- Account Management
- Address Info
- Select "View" or "Edit" (If the "Edit" option is not available, contact Student Affairs to update your address.)

Students should look in the mail for the bright green envelope from HigherOne. Once it arrives, use the card inside to let us know how you'd like to receive your money. Just choose the option that best fits you - and be sure to get started as soon as it arrives. Even if you are not expecting a refund, we may have money for you in the future, so do not wait.

For more information...

For more information, visit myonemoneycard.com to learn more about the program, or contact Business Services at 320-629-5119.