Associate in Arts Degree
Pine Technical College (PTC) will begin offering and enrolling students interested in completing the Associate in Arts (A.A.) degree.* The A.A. is a 60 credit program which includes the 40-credit Minnesota Transfer Curriculum. By taking a variety of courses, students fulfill the core requirements for majors leading to the bachelor’s degree or enhance skills such as problem solving, critical thinking, communication that are key in the work environment. Advisors are available to assist students in selecting courses that best meet students’ goals and the requirements of transfer institutions.
An Associate in Arts Degree earned at Pine Technical College is recommended primarily as the transfer degree that enables a student to transfer to a Minnesota four-year college or university and complete a bachelor’s degree. Through special agreements, the A.A. Degree, in most cases, allows a student to continue with a “junior status” at the selected state university.
Included in the Associate in Arts Degree is the MINNESOTA GENERAL EDUCATION TRANSFER CURRICULUM (MnTC) which contains the minimum number of credits (40) needed to complete general education requirements at all public colleges and universities in the state of Minnesota.
- At least 40
credits of the 60 credit AA degree must be taken within the Minnesota General
Education Transfer Curriculum (MnTC) outlined in the AA degree planner.
- An agreement with the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (MnSCU) provides that Pine Technical & Community College Associate in Arts (AA) Degree or MnTC will satisfy lower-division general education requirements at any of the state universities.
- An agreement with the University of Minnesota, provides that an Associate in Arts Degree or MnTC will satisfy the Liberal Education requirements.
- Any student who anticipates transferring to a four-year college or university is encouraged to meet with an advisor and should plan appropriately to meet the general and major requirements of the bachelor program requirements.
Associate in Arts Degree / Graduation requirements
Complete a total of 60 semester credits numbered 1000 and above as described below:
- Minimum of 40
general education credits completing the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum
- 2 credits First Year Experience Course or have taken a First Year Experience course at another accredited college
- 1-3 credits--Job Seeking , MOS Office Basics, Career Management, or Career Development
- 15-17 college level elective credits (general education or technical)
- Earn a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher
Minnesota General Education Transfer Curriculum
The Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC) defines a common philosophy towards general education and is a result of a collaborative effort by all two-and four-year public colleges and universities. The goal of this effort is to help students transfer their general education work and completion of the defined transfer curriculum at one institution enables a student to receive credit for lower-division general education upon admission to any other MnSCU institution. The University of Minnesota also recognizes the MnTC as fulfilling lower division general education components of its degree programs; in addition, students in all degree programs must complete a writing intensive set of requirements. Students who complete the transfer curriculum are certified in ten goal areas by faculty at the sending institution. The MnTC provides details about goal competencies.
View more details about the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum.
Cost of Program
To determine the cost of this program, visit the Tuition and Fees page.