We've moved!

We're happy to announce that with the change to Pine Technical & Community College, our website has moved to www.pine.edu!

We recommend updating your bookmarks to the new domain. We'll be phasing out our pinetech.edu domain in the coming months and the information below may not be current.

Go to the new website now!

Transfer Information

Associate in Arts Degree

The A.A. is a 60 credit program which includes the 40-credit Minnesota Transfer Curriculum. By taking a variety of courses, students fulfill the core requirements for majors leading to the bachelor’s degree or enhance skills such as problem solving, critical thinking, communication that are key in the work environment.
View more about Associate in Arts Degree.

Transfer Overview

Pine Technical College considers courses for transfer from colleges and universities that have been accredited by their regional associations. Transfer credit also may be considered for courses taken at institutions that lack regional accreditation but have been accredited by specialized agencies or at institutions outside the United States that have been chartered or authorized by their national governments. In general, transfer credit is considered only for courses that fulfill Pine Technical College graduation and program requirements and have been completed with a grade of C or better.

All Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC) courses in which a student has received a grade of A, B, C or D will be considered for transfer evaluation. However, if a student's cumulative GPA at the originating institution is less than 2.00, no "D" grades will be accepted in transfer from that school unless the course meets a MnTC goal at the originating college. The minimum MnTC 2.0 GPA requirement must include grades of A - D for transfer courses to ensure the MnTC package was completed with a total of 2.0 GPA. For complete information regarding PTC's policy on transfer, see Transfer Policy 233

Transfer Procedure

Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (MnSCU)

If you are transferring to-and-from institutions within the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (MnSCU) system, you may find it helpful the MnSCU system uses "E-Transcript," which allows a more seamless transition. An official transcript from your current or previously-attended MnSCU institution(s) will be obtained by PTC Admissions Staff, provided you do not have any holds on your record(s) at your current or previous institution(s), such as a balance owed. Here is a list of MnSCU institutions

How to transfer to Pine Technical College from another institution:

1. Send official transcript to PTC from previous college(s).

2. PTC copies the official transcript and gives to faculty advisors for review and evaluation.

3. Faculty advisors return transcript to Student Services to be entered on Degree Audit Report (DARS).

PTC Admissions attempts to review Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (MnSCU) system transcripts within a 15-day turnaround time; for all transcripts coming from other institutions, PTC Admissions will review as time permits. PTC decides what credits transfer and whether those classes meet degree requirements. Advisors evaluating the courses to be transferred will look at course content and description to see if the class meets specified requirements.

Students are encouraged to check their DARS to view results from faculty transcript reviews -- to see which courses "transferred in" and which did not. As mentioned above, students typically are able to view results within 15 days (from the date transcripts were received); however, it takes longer to review transcripts from out-of-state and/or private colleges and/or universities. Tip: If you are able to send course descriptions and/or syllabi for classes you think are particularly transferrable, the process may be quicker and smoother.

About Course Transfer

Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC) Courses

Once a course has met the criteria necessary for inclusion in PTC's Minnesota Transfer Curriculum in any goal area, the course must be accepted for full credit in that goal area. General education credits have no transfer time limit. For additional information regarding program transfer, visit Minnesota Transfer.

General Education Course Transfer

Pine Technical College may accept for transfer as general or "free" electives courses which are not comparable or equivalent to specific courses taught at Pine Technical College. Contact the Registrar for more information at johnsonn@pinetech.edu.

Advanced Placement (AP) credits:  PTC awards credit for AP exam scores of 3 or higher. For additional information please review PTC's AP Policy 230.  Students can visit Transferology to review course equivalences.

CLEP:  PTC awards CLEP examinations with passing scores.  For additional information please review PTC's CLEP Policy 231 .  Students can visit Transferology to review course equivalences.

International Baccalaureate (IB): Students who attain an International Baccalaureate (IB) diploma shall be granted six (6) lower division course credits for scores of 4 or higher on each Higher Level IB examinations and two (2) lower division course credits for scores of 4 or higher on each Stander Level IB examination. Students can visit Transferology to review course equivalences. Students must arrange for an official IB transcript to be sent to PTC and can do so through the International Baccalaureate website.

International Credits: If you have completed coursework in another country, you must order a course-by-course evaluation from a NACES member credential evaluation service. You should make arrangements for the evaluation to be sent to PTC for further evaluation.

DANTES – Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Support / DSST: PTC awards credit for DSST examinations with passing scores. Visit DSST   for additional information.  Students can visit Transferology   to review course equivalences.

Military Credits:  PTC awards credit for military training based on ACE recommendations. Find out more about how military credit transfers to colleges or universities in the MnSCU system.

Occupational/Technical Course Credits

Occupational course credits earned more than 5 years prior to the time of request will not be accepted for transfer; certain occupational/technical programs may have more stringent requirements. For courses that do not meet the time limit criteria, students may demonstrate course content mastery by utilizing the PTC "test - out" or experiential learning assessment option see policy 217 and policy 228.

Developmental Course Transfer

Pine Technical College will accept equivalent developmental courses in reading, writing, and math providing equivalencies have been established. The courses will be accepted with zero credit value. All developmental courses must have a grade of C or better to be accepted in transfer.

Student Appeals

There is a two-level process through which students may appeal transfer decisions made by Pine Technical College regarding courses completed within the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (MnSCU) system. Students will need to complete the Student Petition and contact the Dean of Student Affairs. The appeal is not restricted for courses transferred from MnSCU institutions; courses transferred from any institution may be appealed. This is MnSCU's appeal process.

Transfer Maximum

There is no maximum to the number of credits a student may transfer. However, the college does require that a minimum of 1/3rd of program credits be completed at PTC. Please visit the PTC graduation policy for details.

Questions about your Transfer Credit?

Are you transferring to PTC and have credit from other colleges or universities? Make sure you have contacted ALL your previous colleges and/or universities and have requested an official transcript to be sent to PTC from those colleges/universities. If you have done this, and you have allowed sufficient time for those transcripts to arrive to PTC, and you have allowed sufficient time for all necessary PTC staff and faculty members to review those transcripts -- and, if you still have questions, e-mail transcriptquestions@pinetech.edu.

Web-based Course Transfer System

Transferology is a multi-state online tool for students and advisors used to determine course equivalencies, program requirements, and applicability of coursework when transferring between schools.

Articulation Agreements

Pine Technical College has numerous transfer agreements with four-year colleges and universities. Learn more about articulation agreements.

Related Resources:

MnSCU Transfer Rights and Responsibilities
MnSCU Transfer Action Plan:
Minnesota Transfer: Site that enables students, transfer specialists, and educators to access transfer information.
Transferology: Web-based transfer tool that provides fast and accurate course and transfer equivalency information.